Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Human Biology
This qualification offers a practical introduction to human biology and is designed to support progression to further study or employment in a health-related field. As part of the course, you will:
- practise experimental scientific techniques and explore how they are applied in industry;
- develop your knowledge and understanding of concepts in microbiology, disease and health;
- plan and carry out a scientific investigations;
- explore ways in which topical health-related issues are presented in the media;
- investigate the role of human biologists and the different career pathways open to them.
The Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Human Biology consists of four units.
Units 1 and 2 are completed in year 12 and units 3 and 4 are completed in year 13.
|Unit Title||Assessment Type|
|Principles of Applied Human Biology||External examination|
|Practical Microbiology and Infectious Disease||Internal (centre assessed)|
|Human Biology and Health Issues||External assignment|
|Optional Unit (e.g. Genetic Engineering or Human Reproduction and Fertilisation)||Internal (centre assessed)|
To be accepted onto the course you will need the following at GCSE:
- English Language or English Literature at Grade 4 or above;
- Mathematics at Grade 4 or above;
- Combined Science at Grade 5, 5 or above or Biology at Grade 5 or above.